The Nationality Law in Turkey is one of the laws that have undergone several amendments that have made it easier for foreigners and investors to obtain Turkish citizenship through real estate investment by buying property in Turkey. In this article, we will highlight these amendments and the conditions for applying for Turkish citizenship in general and more precisely in the event of buying a property and the stages of application.
- Birth: to be born into a family of one of the Turkish parents. According to Article 1 of the Turkish Nationality Law No. 403, citizens born of a Turkish father or mother or both Turkish parents have the right to apply for Turkish citizenship.. The nationality law in Turkey is based in the first place on the principle of "right of blood" that is, children born to a Turkish mother or father inside or outside marriage are Turkish citizens from birth. Moreover, if the mother and father are successful in submitting their applications, the scope of the application will be expanded to include the children. Anyone who has lost his Turkish citizenship can re-apply for it to be returned to him.
- Marriage: Foreigners can obtain Turkish citizenship after 3 years of marriage to a Turkish citizen. However, some conditions must apply to them, the most important of which is to live together and refrain from behavior that may harm the institution of marriage, and does not pose any threat to national security or public order.
- Foreigners obtain the right to apply for Turkish citizenship if the property they own meets the price condition, which the government has modified from one million dollars to 250 thousand US dollars or its equivalent in Turkish lira, and if the property is less than the price imposed in the law, the person is granted a real estate residence. Those who hold a real estate residence permit apply for citizenship if they have been in the country for a continuous period of 5 years. Also, whoever obtains a residence permit without interruption does not require a minimum property value.
Below, we will more accurately remind you of the amendments to the text of the law on obtaining Turkish citizenship in 2018:
Anyone who meets the following conditions can apply and obtain Turkish citizenship:
A- Those who invest in an amount of no less than $500,000.
B - Whoever owns a real estate with a value of not less than 250 thousand US dollars after the date of the amendment to the law, provided that it is not sold for a period of 3 years.
C - Those who employ at least 50 Turkish citizens.
D- A person who deposits an amount of at least 500 thousand US dollars in a bank in Turkey without withdrawing it for a period of no less than 3 years.
What are the general conditions for obtaining Turkish citizenship:
- Mental and legal capacity, that is, to be over 18 years of age and free from any mental and psychological problems.
- Adequate proficiency in the Turkish language.
- The applicant's record is free of any criminal or judicial problems, meaning that it does not pose any threat to national security.
- He has a fixed income or a job that helps him to support himself and those in his care, if any.
- To be in good physical and mental health, and not to suffer from any communicable disease that poses a threat to public health.
- To legally fulfill the 5-year residency requirement.
As for the legal stages of obtaining Turkish citizenship, they are:
1- Submitting an application for citizenship.
2- Sending the request from the Immigration Department to the Census Department.
3- Security study and extensive scrutiny of the applicant’s file.
4- Announcing the result of the application, accepting or rejecting it, and transferring it to the Immigration Department.
5- Complete the process of obtaining identity from the General Directorate of Personal Status.
In the case of an applicant for Turkish citizenship through real estate investment, the applicant's application passes in three stages:
1- Submitting a contract for the purchase of immovable assets (Title deed) attached to the citizenship application.
2- Sending the request to the Census Department and the security study.
3- Complete the ID process from the Census Department.
In the case of applying for exceptional Turkish citizenship, the procedures may end quickly for some, and may last for years for others, because the Turkish authorities are the ones who decide this according to the applicant's security and legal citizenship status.
Conditions for obtaining Turkish citizenship by real estate investment:
- Buying property in Turkey from a Turkish citizen or from a Turkish real estate company.
- The property must have a regular title deed, that is, a floor easement deed or title deed has been issued, even if it is under construction.
- The price of the property should be more than 250 thousand US dollars.
- Paying the price of the property by bank transfer (bank transfer) from a bank outside or inside Turkey.
- The buyer pledges not to sell the property for 3 years.
related articles :
#property #turkey_real_estate #turkish_citizenship